Sunday, January 7, 2007

Some Movie Reviews

So I have been checking out a lot of movies over the weekend and I thought I would just leave my opinions on each of them to help you guys pick out that rental this week at blockbuster or netflix.

First movie up was "The Naked Mile" or "an excuse to show naked women". The movie was alright and kind of funny here or there, but overall was fueled mainly by indecent exposure. The plot wasn't that amazing and its definitely a movie that was just tossed out to help collect revenue from the popularity of the American pie series. If you are a guy, and are looking for something that doesn't involve much thought to watch with your buddies, this movie is for you.

Second movie I watched this weekend was "A Scanner Darkly". The movie stars Keanu Reeves ( I have no idea if I just slaughtered his name). The film basically is about an undercover cop trying to expose networking of a drug called "d". The movie has a unique and fascinating style using computers to go over the actual character and give them a cell shading affect. The movie was kind of crazy and weird, but I liked it. If your looking for something out of the ordinary, this is a good rent or buy.

Third movie this weekend (ya I accomplished a lot) was Crank. I talked this movie down repeatedly when it was in theaters simply because it looked like another transporter movie with a different name in the previews. My friend Adam saw it and told me it was pretty good though so when i noticed the ad that it was coming out on dvd this week, I thought I should check it out. Most of you probably know the basis of the movie, a man is drugged and has to keep his adrenaline going to stay alive and negate the affects of the drug trying to stop his heart. He also does this while trying to seek revenge on the man who put him in the situation. There are of course a lot of crazy action scenes, and if your looking for a fast pace action film with drugs, sex, and guns, then this is your pick for the week. I liked it overall but the ending was kind of sketchy, when you check it out, let me know what you thought of it.

Fourth Movie (I need to get out more maybe?) The Night Listener. The movie has Robin Williams portraying a radio host from new york. Going through hard times a friend recommends him a book written by a abused young boy. Through the phone Robin Williams builds a relationship with the young writer and tries to meet him face to face. The movie is based on true events, and as many true event movies do, it leaves itself somewhat open ended. When the movie was done I really felt like I wasted an hour and a half of my life. I admit all I probably would of been doing would have been watching "The Illusionist" instead which happens to be the next and final movie.


Fifth Movie, "The Illusionist". If I had to pick one movie for you to watch over this next week, this movie would be it. The story follows a young magician who falls in love with a girl from the higher class of society. Threatened and told to stay away from the girl he leaves town to come back years later as a great illusionist. He runs into his childhood friend who is now almost engaged to the prince. Using his powers of illusion he tries to find a way to be with his childhood crush. The movie's ending was amazing, and I overall enjoyed every minute of it.


So that's all I have watched this weekend, odd that I put my favorite at the bottom of my list, but hopefully everyone reads that long to see it. Check back later for more random writings, and if you watch any of these and agree or disagree with me, toss up a comment.

1 comment:

Adam J. said...

First of all Matt Dude, well written synopsis of all five movies.

The ending of Crank is a bit weird. I didn't really care for it. I think JR liked it but I'm not sure. I liked that movie because it really made me want to punch a wall or just doing something physical like tennis or UF.

I'm glad to see that you are blogging. Good luck with that 8am she-ott!

Peace
Go with Christ!